Tuesday, September 16, 2008

90210...The new class?

So I watched the original 90210, not as religiously as some, but enough to know the going ons of the characters. From high school to college it was like watching the drama version of Saved by the Bell.

But as classics go, did anyone really watch Saved by the Bell, the new class? Where Belding was still principal and Screech was now a teacher? No. Why? Because it wasn't the same. Where was Zack and Kelly and Slater and Jessie? You can't take a classic and throw in new people. It just doesn't work. It gets you thinking about the original characters and what happened to them. Did Zack and Kelly work out, have kids?

And this is what I find my thought process to be with the new 90210. And here they didn't even deem it The New Class. As if it could ever be as good as the classic to be named the same.

Take Gossip Girl, move it to LA, and you have the new 90210. Down to the girl who writes blogs, the alcoholic mother, and the father who is cheating. It is like the change in zip codes of CSI. New characters, new location, same plot line.

And the whole time I am watching, what am I thinking? Show more Brenda, show more Kelly. Stop alluding to the baby daddy and give the gory details of the lives of the original 90210 characters. Do I care about the popular girl who's daddy is cheating and who's mommy doesn't care? No. Do I want to see Kelly fall in love and live happily ever after? Yes.

Needless to say this has been dropped from my DVR list and I am moving on to bigger and better things. Like the show Privileged. That was fun.

No comments: